Tandoori chicken is a popular chicken dish traditionally prepared in a tandoor clay oven. This recipe explains an easy method to prepare tandoori chicken in an electric oven.
- 1 1/2 kilograms Whole chicken skin-on
- 1 tablespoon Ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon Garlic paste
- 4 teaspoons Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 2 teaspoons Kasuri methi
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Lime juice
- 1/4 cup Curd
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Mustard oil
- 1 3/4 - 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 tablespoon Butter melted
- Wash and pat dry the chicken with a towel, make a few gashes on it.
- Make a marinade by mixing all the ingredients except melted butter.
- Rub the marinade all over the chicken. Cover and refrigerate the chicken for about 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 200°C for 10 minutes.
- Place the chicken in a baking pan lined with a wire rack. Bake for about 1.30 hours or until the chicken is done. If the leg is easily falling away and the flesh is white, the chicken is likely done.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and brush it with melted butter. Cover the chicken with an aluminium foil and let it rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- NOTES - Baking the chicken with the skin on helps to keep the chicken soft and moist.
- Placing the chicken in a baking pan lined with a wire rack allows the hot air to circulate evenly around the chicken.
- One cup = 250 ml, one tablespoon = 15 ml, one teaspoon = 5 ml.