Chicken coconut roast is a simple chicken roast bursting with coconut flavor. This chicken roast undoubtedly pairs well with plain white rice.
- 500 grams Chicken pieces bone-in
- 1 1/2 cups Onion chopped
- 3/4 cup Grated coconut
- 3 numbers Clove
- 2 numbers Cardamom
- 1 small piece Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons Ginger crushed
- 2 teaspoons Garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons Coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Lime juice
- Pepper powder as required
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Oil to saute
- Heat oil in a large pan, add clove, cardamom, cinnamon, fennel seeds, and onion, and saute until the onion becomes golden brown. Add ginger and garlic, and saute until the raw smell goes.
- Add chili powder, Kashmiri chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and a little water, and saute until the oil separates.
- Add chicken pieces, grated coconut, and lime juice, and mix well for a few minutes.
- Add the required water and cook until the chicken is done and the gravy is almost thick.
- Add pepper powder and curry leaves. Stir well until the gravy is dry and turns brown.
- Serve with plain rice, appam, etc.
- NOTE - I used bone-in chicken thighs in this recipe. Cut the thighs into smaller pieces than shown in the picture.
- To ensure uniform browning of the coconut, you can pulse the grated coconut before adding it to the masala.
- One cup = 250 ml, one teaspoon = 5 ml.