Kerala style fish curry made with ground coconut, coconut milk and spices. It goes well with rice.
- 500 grams Fish pieces (I used kingfish)
- 1/2 cup Thick coconut milk
- Tamarind pulp to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups Coconut grated
- 2 numbers Shallot
- 2 teaspoons Ginger chopped
- 1 number Green chilli
- 2 teaspoons Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Water as required
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek seed
- 6 numbers Shallot sliced
- 2 numbers Red dry chilli
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- Grind together all the ingredients listed under 'for grinding' into a smooth paste by adding enough water.
- Mix coconut paste, tamarind pulp, and salt. Add required amount of water and bring to boil. When it starts boiling, add fish pieces and cook till the fish pieces are done, and gravy is thick. Add coconut milk, remove from fire.
- Heat oil in a small pan, fry mustard seed, shallot, red dry chilly and curry leaves, add to fish curry. Serves with rice.
- NOTE - One cup = 250 ml, one tablespoon = 15 ml, one teaspoon = 5 ml.