Macaroni and cheese or mac and cheese is a popular American dish. This is an easy recipe for creamy macaroni and cheese made on the stovetop.
- 1 1/2 cups Uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon Garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Plain flour
- 2 cups Whole milk chilled
- 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper powder
- Water For cooking macaroni
- Salt to taste
- Cook the macaroni in lightly salted water. Stir occasionally until done. Drain and keep aside.
- Add butter and garlic to a pan and cook until the butter melts and garlic starts to turn golden.
- Add plain flour, mix well and cook until the raw smell goes.
- Add milk and whisk until smooth. Cook on medium flame until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Reduce heat to low and add cheese. Whisk until cheese melts, and the mixture is smooth. Add salt, pepper, and cooked macaroni. Mix well and switch off the flame. Serve warm.
- NOTE - I used smoked cheddar cheese in this recipe.
- One cup = 250 ml, one tablespoon = 15 ml, one teaspoon = 5 ml.