Dal tadka is a dal curry made with lentils. It is one of the most popular dal recipes served in Indian restaurants.
- 1/2 cup Toor dal soaked
- 1/4 cup Yellow moong dal
- 3/4 cup Onion chopped
- 1/2 cup Tomato chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seed
- 1 number Red dry chilli
- 1 pinch Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 pinch Asafoetida powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Ghee
- 2 tablespoons Coriander leaf chopped
- Combine the toor dal, yellow moong dal, salt, and water in a pressure cooker and cook until the dals become soft. Keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan and saute onion until golden. Add ginger and garlic, saute until the raw smell goes.
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala along with little water, saute till oil separates. Add tomato, cook till it becomes soft. Finally, add the cooked dals, mix well, and boil for a few minutes.
- Heat ghee in a small pan, fry mustard seed, cumin seed and red dry chilly. Remove pan from heat, add Kashmiri chilli powder and asafoetida powder and add everything to curry. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- This dal curry goes well with chapati, white rice, ghee rice, etc.
- NOTE - Dal tends to thicken as it rests, adjust the quantity of water accordingly.
- One cup = 250 ml, one tablespoon = 15 ml, one teaspoon = 5 ml.