Marble cake is a vanilla butter cake marbled with chocolate. This cake can satisfy both vanilla and chocolate cake lovers.
- 100 grams Butter softened
- 60 milliliters Oil
- 175 grams Caster sugar
- 3 numbers Egg
- 175 grams Plain flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Vinegar
- 60 milliliters Whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
For Cocoa Mixture
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Instant coffee powder
- 1 tablespoon Warm Water
For Cocoa Mixture
- Preheat oven at 180°C for 15 minutes. Line base and sides of a deep 20 cm round cake pan with baking paper.
- In a small bowl, combine milk and vinegar. Keep aside.
- In another bowl, combine cocoa powder, instant coffee powder, sugar, and warm water. Mix well to form a smooth paste, keep aside.
- Sift the flour with baking powder, baking soda, and salt, keep aside.
- Beat butter, oil, and sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until soft and creamy.
- Add egg, one at a time, and beat until well combined. Add vanilla extract, mix well.
- Gently stir in sifted flour and milk mixture in three batches. Transfer 1/3 of the batter into another bowl and add the cocoa mixture and mix gently until combined.
- Spread half of the vanilla batter into the prepared pan. Spread the chocolate batter over top. Finish by spreading the remaining vanilla batter over the chocolate batter. Using a fork, swirl the batters together in a zig-zag motion. Repeat one more time in the opposite direction. (Do not repeat more than 2 times)
- Bake for about 35 - 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake come out clean.
- Stand cake 5 minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- NOTES - Have all the ingredients at room temperature, especially butter and egg.
- We used large eggs with an average weight of 58 grams per egg.
- One tablespoon = 15 ml, one teaspoon = 5 ml.
- Recipe source - My mother.