Tomato rice is a delicious one pot rice flavoured with tomatoes and spices.
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 3 1/2 cups Boiling water
- 4 numbers Cardamom
- 6 numbers Clove
- 2 numbers Cinnamon piece
- 1 number Bay leaf
- 1/2 cup Onion chopped
- 2 cups Tomato chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ginger crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Garlic crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup Mint leaves,
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- Salt - to taste
- 1 cups Onion Sliced
- Oil For deep frying onion
- Wash and drain the rice, keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a large pan and add cardamom, clove, cinnamon, and bay leaf. Add onion and saute till it becomes golden. Add ginger, and garlic and cook for a few minutes. Add chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and turmeric powder along with little water and saute till oil separates.
- Add chopped tomato and cook till it becomes soft. Finally, add drained rice, coriander leaves, and mint leaves, saute for a few minutes.
- Add boiling water and salt, cover and cook on low flame till the water is dried completely and the rice is cooked.
- Heat oil in a pan, add sliced onion and fry till golden brown. Drain it on paper towels.
- Garnish the cooked tomato rice with fried onion. Serve hot with raita and pickle.
- One cup = 250 ml, one tablespoon = 15 ml, one teaspoon = 5 ml.
Excellent recipe. Tried it and the whole family enjoyed it. Thanks
Thank you Nandini.