Tomato onion chutney is a spicy, tangy chutney made without coconut. It goes well with dosa, idli or even plain rice.
- 1 1/2 cups Onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Tomato chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon Gram dal (pottu kadala)
- 1 pinch Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seed
- 2 numbers Dry red chilli
- 1 sprig Curry leaf
- 1/2 tablespoon Oil
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the gram dal till golden. Add onion and garlic, saute until golden. Add chilli powder and Kashmiri chilli powder along with little water, saute till raw smell goes.
- Add tomatoes and mix well. Cover the pan and cook until the tomatoes are soft and mushy, allow it to cool.
- Add the tomato mixture into a blender along with 2 - 4 tablespoons of warm water and blend to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, fry the mustard seeds, dry chilli, and curry leaf. Switch off the flame and add the chutney to the pan, mix well.
- Serve with idli, dosa, etc.
- NOTE - One cup = 250 ml, one tablespoon = 15 ml, one teaspoon = 5 ml.
- Recipe source - Vidya Santhosh, my friend.